Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Corn Dog Muffins


I don’t know about your house, but summers are BUSY around here! Lately I have been very dependent on my stand by recipes for dinners. Breakfast in the evenings has been occurring at least twice a week, and the easy options of sweet and spicy chicken tacos, spaghetti with slow cooker marinara and bean and chicken burritos have been regulars. In between baseball practices, tournaments all weekend, work, and everyday life I just didn’t want to make new dinner recipes. Instead I made sweet treats, breads, and food that, while they are OK in moderation, probably wouldn’t do so great as dinner.


It is time to start incorporating some healthy options for snacks, lunches and dinners. That is why I made these corn dog muffins. My kids LOVE corn dogs but I don’t love the deep fried, processed versions that I buy at the store. I have seen this idea floating around blog land for a while and decided to give it a try. My kids loved them and think it is even funnier to say they want to put ketchup on their muffins; they laugh and laugh about it like it is the funniest thing in the world to them. Which makes me start to laugh too because they are just so darn cute!

Ok…so the muffins…they are a cinch to make, tasty and like most of my favorite recipes can be changed up to suit your tastes. Plus, and don't tell my kiddos this, they are much healthier.  The basic idea is to whip up a batch of cornbread, throw in some hot dogs, bake and eat. But you can get fancy if you like, we add cheese, jalapenos and once in a while if I have a wild hair I might use turkey dogs instead of beef dogs, they would even be good topped with chili…OH MY! ENJOY!

I'm also linking up, go check out the other great recipes people are sharing!



Corndog Muffins
Recipe: A Cook’s Quest inspired by Blogland

Cornbread batter (my recipe is below)
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup honey
2 Tbsp sugar

High quality hot dogs/turkey dogs/chorizos/sausages cut to fit your tins

Extra filling items to make your muffins even tastier-jalapenos, grated cheese, green onions, and peppers are some that we like.

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 400 F.  Line muffin tins with liners.

Mix one batch of your favorite cornbread. Fill muffin tins about ½ full with cornbread mix. Add cut hot dogs, cover with more batter. Bake 16-18 minutes. Eat





Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. I love this idea! My kids don't eat sandwiches (for some reason none of them like sandwiches) so I am always struggling to come up with lunch ideas. I am going to make a double batch and freeze them to make my life easier at lunch time. Thanks for sharing this brilliant idea with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm going to try this out, I think it would be a hit with my toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cool idea! It's just perfect for kids, and for busy summer days. I love your cornbread recipe as well, it sounds great. Thank you for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not made these for a while thanks for sharing and reminding me just in time to be put on the next menu come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the standby recipes the best! Although my boys may disagree...I would be all for adding some diced jalapenos and other things to the mix.

    Great post and thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop last week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for stopping by Cast Party Wednesday last week. I really appreciate you sharing your recipe with us. I hope you will join us again for another awesome party filled with yummy recipes.
    Thanks Again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe is a new family favorite and I'm putting it up on Fab Frugal on Sunday so our readers can try it too! Thanks my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber I'm glad your family liked them!

    ReplyDelete