Monday, June 25, 2012

Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats

Secret Recipe Club


Yes, it is time for another Secret Recipe Club reveal.  I can't believe how little I have been cooking or trying new recipes.  I am happy to report that school was released a few weeks ago, so my days of not cooking much are gone, at least for the summer.  I will be preparing many more new recipes for my family and everyone that reads my blog starting with the June Secret Recipe Club.

For those that aren't familiar with it, the Secret Recipe Club, is a once a month opportunity to secretly try a new recipe from another blogger's site and write about it.  Everyone does a reveal on the same day at the same time.  During my last term of school it was the only time I tried new recipes because it was all I had time for.

This month I am assigned to Shockingly Delicious.  Oh. My. Goodness.  This drool worthy blog is written by Dorothy Reinhold who is newspaper editor, writer, mom, food lover, and volunteer.  Just reading her blog made me hungry, and I was challenged to choose only one recipe to highlight.  She highlights recipes that are familiar yet unique, like Avocado ice cream, and Mediterranean Deviled Eggs. After drooling over this delicious dressing for a summer salad, her 22 pie recipes, and her many meatless dishes, I finally settled on Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats.

These little dessert bars are reminiscent of my adult childhood favorite gooey snack. Dorothy has many variations of this traditional recipe on her blog, but I chose this one because it was different than any other version I have seen.  Because I was out of chocolate chips, used pieces of a chocolate bar; however, I didn't feel the need to change or alter anything else about Dorothy's original recipe.  They are bites of soft, gooey, sweet, and salty heaven.  Browning the butter adds a rich nutty flavor that can't be beat for a grown up treat.  Dorothy calls them, "scary good," and I couldn't agree more.  ENJOY!



Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats
Recipe Source: Shockingly Delicious adapted from Smitten Kitchen


4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
Heaping 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1 (10-ounce) bag marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Garnish: chocolate chips equal to the number of pieces you are cutting (A Cook's Quest used a chocolate bar instead)


Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan with butter or a non cook spray. Set aside.
In a  heavy pan melt the butter over medium heat allowing it begin to brown. As the butter begins to change color, add the salt and stir frequently, making sure to scrape small brown parts from the bottom of your pan. Don’t leave your stove now, this step requires attention or you will end up with burned butter which is not good at all. 
As soon as the butter is the nutty brown color, turn the heat off and stir in the marshmallows.  Stir until the marshmallow is completely melted and glossy. 
Stir the Rice Krispies cereal into the melted marshmallow and butter mixture. Using your greased hand, or any other handy kitchen gadget, press the delicious mixture into the prepared pan. Press the chocolate chips point down into the warm mixture using as many as you need to have one chip per serving.
Cool completely and cut between chips into squares.

Another variation recommended by Dorothy is to omit the chocolate chips and add 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh rosemary.  Yum!





Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. My BF loves rice crispy treats. We have made these before and loved them. I hope others make them & love the too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this takes a childhood favorite snack to a whole new level! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore rice krispie treats!!! And with browned butter...oh yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this version before. Oh. My. Goodness. So good! Visting from group C!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and writing about the Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispy Treats! Next you really, really have to try the rosemary version. It's to die for.

    Thanks again!

    --Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  6. My word, love these on a whole new level.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Candied Popcorn.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum! i've made these before (without the chocolate) + just loved them. yours look like they turned out fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great variation on rice krispie treats!! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i really like when people stick close to the original recipe they select to make from their assigned blog - after all, it IS make a recipe from another blog, not make a new recipe based on inspiration from another blog. well done!

    happy src reveal, friend!

    ReplyDelete