Wednesday, July 4, 2012

German Pancakes


Today for breakfast we wanted something different than the regular pancakes or baked French toast we normally have.  I have seen a few recipes floating around Pinterest for German pancakes/Dutch Babies and remembered a recipe in an old community cookbook that my Grandmother passed to me.  This cookbook is on of those books that is a compilation of favorite recipes from cooks who know their stuff.  I LOVE this book and have always enjoyed the easy comfort style food that I create when I select a recipe.  But, a quick internet search will give you a plethora of recipes all quite similar to this one.

This recipe for German pancakes was a delightful surprise.  I have never had one of these pancakes, but I was excited to try it.  A German pancake, or Dutch Baby as some recipes call them, is a baked pancake that puffs up high in the oven, and when it starts to cool falls.  Inside are lovely air pockets perfect for absorbing the flavors of anything you want to top it with.  

The recipe I used said to squeeze a lemon over the top and top with powdered sugar.  I opted for fresh strawberries, blueberries, and whipped cream in honor of the 4th of July.  The pancake itself is light and airy, with a rich flavor that compliments anything that tops it.  I added a teaspoon of vanilla and the zest of one lemon, but they aren't necessary, and I also cooked the whole thing in a 13x9 inch pan rather than two 9 inch pans just because it was easier.    ENJOY!

German Pancake
Recipe Source: Lois Hartley 

5 eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
4 tablespoons butter, melted and divided

Option add-ins
1 teaspoon of vanilla
lemon zest

Heat oven to 4oo F.  Put 2 tablespoons of melted butter in the pan(s) and spread around evenly.  In a large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer until light yellow in color and thick.  Add remaining ingredients mixing until smooth. Pour into prepared pans and bake 20 minutes at 400 F.  Reduce heat to 350 and continue baking 10 more minutes or until the pancake is light golden brown and set.  

Remove from oven and slide out of the pan(s) or slice and top with your favorite toppings.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment