Saturday, January 26, 2013

Baked Ham and Egg Cups

Ham and Egg Cups

Let me tell you a secret.  I didn't used to eat breakfast. I know, I know, it is the best meal of the day.  I always made sure my kids ate it every morning because I wanted them to have a good start, but I just couldn't find the time to eat it myself.  Instead, I would drink my soda and grab a snack about 11 a.m. to hold me over until lunch.  

On the rare occasion when we made a big breakfast, or went out to eat breakfast, my go to meal was ham and eggs with hash browns and sourdough toast.  It was always wonderfully delicious and perfect in every way--at least in my opinion.  With my commitment to eating healthier this year, my ideal breakfast 
ins't a good option anymore. 

I know that I need protein in the mornings.  I have been eating a lot of hard boiled eggs and fruit, which gets a bit boring.  Insert this recipe for Baked Ham and Egg Cups, and the boring stops.  They have the flavors of my favorite breakfast, but without the additional fat from frying everything in oil or butter. In fact, the original recipe states they come in at 100 calories each (depending, of course, on the type of ham and toppings you use.)

I have to say I'm in a bit of breakfast heaven right now.  They little babies are delicious.  The eggs are soft and full of flavor from cheese and ham.  But, my favorite part is the crispy edges that the ham gets from the heat of the oven.  Oh, my goodness they are good!

Ham and Egg Cups


Now, some of you might be thinking the same thing I thought when I saw these for the first time, "it looks complicated to make."  But, the good news is that they aren't hard at all.  They are easy, and relatively quick to assemble.  Not to mention, they can be customized to your tastes so everyone in the family gets eggs their way without a lot of hassle.  If you want them runnier cook them less, I prefer mine almost completely set to ensure the whites aren't slimey.  I think I might try them for a light lunch with a green salad very soon!  Please, go try them, and ENJOY a delicious breakfast!

Ham and Egg Cups


Baked Ham and Egg Cups
Inspiration: The Nest

Eggs
Thinly sliced ham 
Salt/Pepper
Parmesean cheese (or cheese of your choice)
Green onions

Heat your oven to 375 degrees.

As the oven heats, lightly spray your pan with non stick spray.  Line a muffin tin with 2 slices of ham, slightly overlapping them.  Break one egg into each muffin cup.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cheese.

Bake for 10-18 minutes depending on your oven, the pan, and how well done you want your eggs.  I set my timer for 10 minutes and then kept an eye on them until the whites were firm.

Gently remove from the pan, top with green onions, and serve with any side you wish!  ENJOY!

Ham and Egg Cups



Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant! (Yes, I still read your blog!)
    Michelle R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, you make me laugh :) Thanks for posting a comment!

      Delete
  2. Jenn thanks very much for stopping by and linking in with Food on friday. Your dish looks so pretty! I am blown away by all the different breakfast dishes - over 175 now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these this morning, they were great and my kids loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fabulous! To heck with breakfast - I might just have these for supper!

    ReplyDelete