Monday, February 1, 2010

What to do with all this cereal?


Thanks to all the great deals I get using coupons my pantry is always well stocked. We are about out of room on the cereal shelves and I wanted to do something other than Rice Krispie Treats for a snack. I found this recipe idea on one of my favorite blogs, A Thrifty Mom. This recipe is a great way to make a treat my kids (and husband)love for very little out of pocket. They have become the new "favorite" of everyone and I will have to make another batch before I know it!

Granola Bars
Recipe Source: A Thrifty Mom

The beauty of this recipe is that it is so versatile. Add things that you love and you will have a wonderful snack.
8 Cups of Cereal (I used 1 Box of Post Honey Bunches of Oats)
Add your favorite ingredients. I used,
1/2 cup Craisins (I chopped mine into small pieces so they would go farther)
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (next time I think I will use the mini ones)
1 cup of toasted coconut

Mix together in a large bowl and set aside.

In a large saucepan, combine:
1 stick of butter
3/4 c white sugar
3/4 c light corn syrup

On medium high heat stir until well blended. Boil mixture for only two minutes, remove from heat and add 1 tsp vanilla.

Pour over the top of your cereal mixture and stir well.

Pour into a 9x13 buttered pan. FIRMLY press into the bottom. If you do not press it down enough, they will not stick together.

Let cool 1 hour. Then cut bars, it makes 18 large bars.

Bag them, they will stay fresh about a week or you can freeze them.

Other add in ideas:
Dried apples, apricots, pineapple, cherries, mango
Chopped nuts
Raisins
Peanut Butter (I'm going to add this to the sugar mixture)
Any kind of chocolate-mixed in or drizzled on top
Coconut
Trail Mix
Small/chopped candy
Sun Flower seeds
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. MMMMMMMM.....Made these this afternoon. They will definately be made again and again! Thanks for the gret recipe!

    ReplyDelete