Friday, February 5, 2010

Million-Dollar Pound Cake


For me, the best part of any cake is the batter. I love to lick the mixing paddle and bowl. I knew this batter would be phenomenal because of the high fat content. Anything with one pound of butter in it HAS to taste good. I was not disappointed. The batter was very thick and creamy with great flavor. I was nice enough to scrap a little bit for each family member and they all loved it as well.

Once the batter has been baked into a cake, it has a very smooth, dense, texture and isn’t dry like some homemade cakes can be (must be the one pound of butter). I was hoping for a stronger lemon flavor but I wasn’t completely successful. Since I made this cake for my co-workers it was their approval I was after. Everyone said it was good and I’ve noticed it is getting smaller and smaller every hour. Enjoy!

Million-Dollar Pound Cake
Revised from The Taste of Home Cookbook

**I wanted a more lemony flavor so I added the zest of a whole lemon, along with the juice. I also substituted lemon extract for the vanilla and almond. This recipe didn’t call for a glaze but I made one using powdered sugar and lemon juice because I like something on my cakes.**

2 cups butter, softened
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
4 cups all-purpse flour
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy about 5 minutes.


Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending flour, just until blended.  Stir in extracts (I used all lemon extract along with the zest and juice of one lemon).  Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. (I used an offset spatula to get the top of the batter smooth).

Bake at 325 for about 1 hour and 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. 

**After the cake was cooled I made a glaze for the top using 1 cup of powdered sugar and enough lemon juice so that it would run down the sides.** 

Updated 02/02/2010 This cake still tastes fresh even after three days.  I took what was left after work to my house, and wrapped it well.  Sunday morning it was still moist and flavorful.  This little fact makes it even more appealing to me because that means the recipe is not only tasty but cost effective as well since I don't have to worry about throwing it away after one day.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment