Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Crash Hot Potatoes

I would bet money that there isn't a potato dish that I haven't loved.  You know what I adore about potatoes?  There are so many ways to prepare them so they never get boring and they are so inexpensive to make.  You can dice them, shred them and slice them; you can boil, bake, and my personal favorite method, fry them; you can add any variety of ingredients and 99.9999% of the time the result is something that is mouth wateringly delicious. 

I am constantly on the lookout for potato recipes because potatoes are insanely cheap.  I usually go for a Russet or Yukon Gold because they are easy to find in the potato state that I reside and usually in my budget.  But, my favorite by far is a small red potato such as the Klondike Rose.  Red potatoes are low in starch which makes them perfect for boiling and roasting, not to mention the sweet flavor they have.  Pair a red potato up with a little salt, pepper and butter and I am in starch heaven!  So needless to say, when I first saw this Crash Potato recipe I knew it was a recipe that would be gracing my table as soon as red potatoes were on sale!  It looks interesting, the method is easy and the flavor can be modified for any meal.  I liked this recipe so much I made it two nights in a row and it was all I could do not to take thirds. 
Crash Hot Potatoes
Recipe Source: The Pioneer Woman and modified by A Cook's Quest

Red Potatoes (as many as you need to feed your crew)
Olive Oil
1/4-1/2 c Butter (depending on how many potatoes you have)
Salt and Pepper
Fresh Herbs, Seasonings, Cheese if desired
Garlic

Boil your potatoes until fork tender and very soft.  Turn oven on to broil and drizzle olive oil on the bottom of a broiler proof pan.  Place potatoes on the pan and gently smash them with a potato masher or large serving fork.  Rotate the masher 90 degrees and mash a again.  You should have a flattened potato.

Melt 1/4 c butter  with a smash garlic clove (you can use garlic powder too if you wish) and brush on potatoes.  Sprinkle potatoes with salt, pepper, herbs and the seasonings you prefer.  I LOVE this McCormick Steak Seasoning on potatoes...YUM! So I add that as well. 

Put the potatoes under the broiler until they turn crispy and brown (I wasn't very patient at this point so mine didn't get a crsipy as they could have.)  You can top them with additional toppings if you so desire, but I love them simple.  Pair them up with any meat of your choice or eat them all by themselves if you wish...either way you will be so happy you made them!

**For beautiful photos of this recipe check out The Pioneer Woman's website.

Total Cost about $1.40
Potatoes I am estimating about $1.00 (the bag cost me $2.00 and I used about 1/2 each night)
Butter and Oil $.25
Seasonings/Garlic $.15
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment