Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bean and Chicken Burritos with Green Chile Cheese Sauce

One morning, as I stood pondering the contents of my freezer hoping that somehow there was a frozen meal  tucked away somewhere in its depths, I had an aha moment. A moment that has changed one of my go to dinners into something even better. There, stacked nice and neatly right under my nose were the chicken and bean burritos I had made in April and frozen for later consumption.  At the very moment I looked at them I remembered the Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas the Melanie posted over at Mel's Kitchen Cafe and I knew that the two were going to come together into one mighty tasty dish.  Oh, I just have to say, they were delicious!  The hearty burritos, topped with a silky smooth, cheesy sauce dotted with green chiles and the smoky flavor of cumin brought happiness and the rare moment of silence at my table as everyone intently devoured their portions.  The family was happy, the cook was happy, and we now have another go to freezer meal.

Burritos with Green Chile Cheese Sauce
Recipe Source: Inspired by Mel's Kitchen Cafe and modified by A Cook's Quest

8-10 Bean and Chicken Enchiladas (thawed if you froze them)

Sauce:
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2/3 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1 can roasted green chiles (I use mild)
16 oz cup sour cream
1 cup monteray jack cheese shredded (or whatever you like best)

In a saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Sprinkle in  the flour and stir well. Cook for 1 minute,then slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Continue whisking so that the mixture will be smooth Cook over medium heat until the mixture is bubbling and has thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the sour cream,green chiles salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and cheese

Place the burritos into a large baking dish (I used a 10x15 dish but adjust accordingly depending on how many burritos you are using).  Top with the sauce and sprinkle with more cheese if you want.  Bake for 30 minutes at 350 F or until heated through.  If you want a brown top, turn your broiler on for a few minutes.  Let the dish set for 10 minutes and serve.

**These dish can be frozen by covering in plastic wrap then aluminum foil.  Thaw before baking if possible or bake 1 hour and 45 minutes covered if frozen.

Total Cost $2.55 (if you include the cost of the burritos $6.33)
Burritos-Free From freezer stock
Butter-$.18
Flour-$.32
Chicken stock-Free (I made it during the Chicken Challenge)
Milk-$.12
Chiles-$.65
Sour Cream-$.50
Cheese-$.78
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Jenn, I like this recipe a lot. I found your blog by chance and planned only to say hello before moving on. I was lured into reading your prior posts and ended up staying far longer than I intended. I really like your recipes and the tone of your blog. I'll be back as often as I can. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Mary it is wonderful to meet you through the world of blogging. Thank you for your kind words and for reading my blog, I hope you find recipes that you can use and share as well. Have a great day!

    PS I can't wait to spend some time at your site, I took a quick peek and there is some mighty tasty food that I can't wait to try...and that's just on the first page!

    ReplyDelete