Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Creamy Chicken & Fettuccine

When I ask B2 what sounded good for dinner she told me, "Chicken with creamy sauce and noodles.  Oh, and cucumbers too." Now this mom is never going to say no to vegetables when my kids request them so the cucumbers were in like Flynn; and I will never deny myself the opportunity to enjoy a marriage of pasta and cream cooked into one mouthwatering meal so I was happy to oblige both her dining requests.  Now the problem, what should I do that is different from my usual Alfredo sauce?

Since I am not overly creative, or inspired, when it comes to making my own dishes from start to finish, I went where I always go when I need a delicious recipe, Mel at My Kitchen Cafe.  Today I found the perfect dish, Creamy Chicken Fettuccine, it has the flavors of summer with lemon, peas, and fresh basil paired with the garlicky smooth sauce that only heavy cream can create.  I'm telling you we all loved this dish, B1 and B2 declared it better than the usual and this mama may or may not have eaten enough to make her waistline scream in protest.

Creamy Chicken & Fettuccine
Recipe source: Adapted slightly from Mel at My Kitchen Cafe

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
salt and pepper
2 olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon grated zest and 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
1 pound fettuccine
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil

Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta to boiling water and cook until almost al dente.

While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a saute pan.  Add sliced chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add garlic to empty skillet and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and keep warm.

 When the pasta is almost done, add peas to pot and cook until bright green, about 1 minute. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, drain pasta and peas, and return to pot. Add sauce, cheese, basil, and reserved chicken to pot and toss to combine, adding reserved pasta water as needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

**Cook's note: This recipe made a lot. My family (there were four of us tonight) had enough left overs for all of us the next night paired with a salad. I did add a little cream to help the sauce come back together.  This can easily be cut in half if you don't want left overs.

Total Cost:$5.00 (plus $.50 for the cucumber)
Chicken $2.04
Pasta $.88
Cream $.71
Basil Free From my garden
Garlic $.02
Lemon juice/zest $.25
Parmesan Cheese $.98
Olive Oil $.12
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry about my lack of participation. I have much blogging to catch up on. I love peas. MMMM. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey no worries lady... life happens and blogging is always here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the addition of peas. Way to spruce up the health value. And the cost is hard to argue with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merut we add peas to everything with a sauce for the simple reason of adding some nutrition. Now if I could find a way to get the creaminess without the heavy cream I would be a happy cook!

    ReplyDelete