Monday, July 26, 2010

Pizza Dough-Update

Some of you may remember recipe #15, the best pizza dough EVER, it is delicious no matter how ya top it and honestly I didn't think it could get any better.  But then I decided I decided to jump on the grilled pizza bandwagon and try my hand at grilling pizza, once I did I discovered that the world of pizza had just opened up some more! 
I was worried that the dough would stick, that it would burn on the outside and be raw in the middle, that it just wouldn't taste as good as my regular method, but when I took that first bite I knew that I had a new summer favorite.  The grill created a nice smokiness, and the heat from the grill created a wonderfully crispy and chewy crust.  Next time you make pizza, try grilling it instead of baking it, not only will your kitchen stay cooler in the heat of summer but your pizza will taste better than ever!

Grilled Pizza

One recipe of pizza dough
Oil
Pizza toppings

Preheat your grill.  I set mine on high and let it heat for about 15 minutes.  Once the grill is hot, reduce the heat to somewhere between medium high and high and stretch your dough to the desired size.  Lightly brush one side with oil and place on your grill. (The temperature of your grill will depend on your grill, experiment with a small piece of dough before you commit to a whole pizza to see what will work best for you.)
Close the lid, and let the dough bake for about 4-5 minutes.  Using tongs, lift the dough and check to make sure it isn't browning too quickly on the bottom.
When the dough is almost cooked through, remove from the heat and top with your favorite toppings.  I used, crushed tomatoes, fresh basil and huge pieces of mozzarella.  Return to the heat and continue baking until the cheese is melted.


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. there are all sorts of pizzas being made in the world and not all of them go in the oven...well not everyone has an oven in the world but we all love pizza...great to experiment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Jelena, the variations of pizzas in this world are mind boggling! Experimenting and trying new methods is one of my favorite parts of cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So there is not "comment" button on your latest post. Anyhoo - I hope that finals week is over and school was a success. You are a brave sould for cooking pizza dough on the grill!

    ReplyDelete