Saturday, August 21, 2010

Oven Roasted Tomatoes

Finals are over, and after a week of vacation I am back in the kitchen.  I have reacquainted myself with my old friends, kitchen aide, oven, utensils (specifically whisk and bowl scrapers) and of course the pots and pans.  I am ready to make all the recipes I have been looking at for the past three months, but just couldn't make time for. 

These beautiful veggies came from our little garden so the first recipe I am making are these oven roasted tomatoes from one of my favorite sites, Our Best Bites
 These girls know how to make real food, in real kitchens for regular on the go families.  When I first started blogging I posted about making my own dried tomatoes as a way to save money.  I LOVE sun dried tomatoes but lets face it, they can be kind of spendy.  Then a few months ago I stumbled on to this recipe and let me tell you I don't know if I will return to my dehydrator or not. 

I'm not a raw tomato eater, it's one of those early childhood things that just won't go away. I can eat a sun dried tomato like it's a piece of candy but if you gave me a simple sliced tomato I will turn up my nose.  So needless to say, I have to find "something" to do with all the beautiful little red gems that are growing in my back yard. This recipe is just the thing.  After roasting slowly in the oven for 2-3 hours the tomatoes are caramelized, and sweet lending a whole new level of flavor to anything you add them to.  Add them to any Italian dish, blend them into a puree for the base of a pasta sauce, make a bread topping with roasted garlic, olive oil and fresh basil...you get the idea. 

P.S. I apologize for the photo quality, I was in a hurry trying to pack for our trip when I took them.  I plan to update them as soon as my next batch is done.

Oven Roasted Tomatoes
Recipe Source: Our Best Bites

A bunch of tomatoes, any variety
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Kosher Salt
Fresh Cracked Pepper
a bunch of garlic cloves

Wash and cut your tomatoes.  I halved the smaller ones (I'm using Romas) and the larger ones I quartered.  Toss with a little bit of olive oil in a bowl.  Spread out on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and finely chopped garlic. Now I like my garlic in slivers and use this handy little garlic slicer from a certain company that does home parties for kitchen/cooking supplies but, none of this is exact, do what looks and tastes good to you and your style of cooking.

Place in an oven that has been preheated to 325 F.  Bake 2-3 hours.  The length of time will vary depending on the type of tomato you are using.  When they tomatoes are soft, slightly brown on the edges and making your house smell like an Italian Grandmother's they are done.  Allow them cool and then use right away or freeze for later use.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment