Saturday, October 23, 2010

HomemadeTaco Seasoning

Once in a while I find a recipe that calls for a packet of taco seasoning.  I don't buy them because of a very bad taco dinner experience I had in high school when I didn't read the directions all the way through and ended up with a very salty taco filling.  Needless to say, I found that tossing seasonings into my meat was a better option than the little packets.  That is, until the times I need a packet of taco seasoning for this recipe or that recipe.  After passing yet again on a recipe because I just didn't want to buy a taco packet, I decided to make my own, using all the same ingredients I always use for tacos but in bulk.  Using this method means I always have some pre-made and ready to go.  The thing I love most is I can control how much salt, how much spice, how much of everything I add to the mix so I can ensure my family will love it every time. 

Taco Seasoning
Recipe Source: A Cook's Quest

**As is this recipe will make about 6 tablespoons.  Or you can increase the amounts so you have more on hand.

1 T chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 T minced onion (the dried kind)
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.  I use 1-2 T per pound of meat depending on how strong I want the flavor.

Total Cost-less than a dollar for 3-6 servings!
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Love this! I used to have a recipe for taco seasoning too but I can't find it. It included masa flour and beef or chicken bouillon (the dried kind) though, which I really liked because it thickened up a bit and added some more flavor. Your looks great though! I think I'll try it next time I make tacos.

    Also, put me on the bench of those who have had really bad taco seasoning packet experiences. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Masa would be a great addition! I will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing is worse that a meal that is too salty! One can always add salt, one can not always take it away.

    On another note, we missed you at book club!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed book club! I was at home with five 10 year old boys running crazy around my house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I never seem to have those packets on hand when I need them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog! I have enjoyed reading your posts! I think my readers would appreciate this post and your marinara post and would love for you to link them (or similiar posts as you write them) to my Real Food Deals Carnival which is open Wednesday - Friday each week. The carnival is a place for bloggers to share ideas and tips for saving money on Real Food. Sorry to leave a book, but I couldn't find your email. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank Alea, I just started following your blog and love some of the things I have found! I will definitely check out the Real Food Deals Carnival anything that helps save money and also create healthy delicious meals is a great thing in my book!

    ReplyDelete