Monday, April 25, 2011

Guest Blogger Recipe!--Spinach and Potato Frittata

Do you ever have those weeks when there are TONS of things going on?  Weeks that are so busy you wonder when you might get to sleep?  This is that week for me and luckily I have a guest blogger to share a wonderful recipe with all of you that is not only tasty, but thrifty as well!

Alea, at Premeditated Leftovers , shares many of the same ideas about food as I do.  She shares her tips for saving money and time while reducing waste in her home at Premeditated Leftovers. She is committed to providing her family with homegrown, organic produce despite living in an inhospitable climate. Alea chronicles her gardening efforts at One Determined Gardener.  I hope you enjoy this recipe and also find many more on her sites! 

Spinach and Potato Frittata
By: Alea at Premeditated Leftovers

When I was a child, my dad often shared the story of the time he had to live on potatoes. He had started a new job and had to wait two weeks before he would receive his first paycheck. His milkman delivered eggs as well as milk. The milkman also delivered butter and cheese and, most importantly, he extended my dad credit. With the little bit of cash he had left he bought a large bag of potatoes. My dad would end the story by recounting all the different ways he cooked his potatoes and eggs. Over the years the recipe list became longer and a bit more exotic as the story took on a life of its own.

My dad’s story did more than just entertain me, it planted a seed of stubborn independence (Well perhaps that was genetic, but it provided me with a way to carry out my stubborn independence). When I was a poor college student I made potatoes and eggs the base of many of my recipes. Eggs were an inexpensive source of protein and I could buy a 10 pound bag of potatoes for .99 cents. My dad would ask me how I was doing and if I needed any money and I would respond, “Don’t worry about me, I know a hundred ways to cook potatoes and eggs”.

Prices have gone up quite a bit in the last 25 years, but eggs and potatoes are still a frugal and delicious source of nutrients. Last month we were not sure if my husband would be furloughed. My husband expressed concern and I reminded him that we had our emergency fund and we could subsist on potatoes and eggs until Congress came up with a budget if we needed to. Fortunately, my husband was not furloughed. I decided the most appropriate way to celebrate was with a potato frittata. :)

Ingredients:
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 cup shredded spinach
1 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
dash of pepper
6 eggs, beaten

Directions:
Boil the diced potato until fork tender. Rinse and drain.

Preheat oven to broil.

In a 10” oven safe frying pan, sauté onion in olive oil until the onion is translucent.

Add potato, spinach, rosemary, and pepper to the onion. Cook over medium-high heat until spinach is wilted, approximately 3 - 5 minutes.
Add eggs to the vegetable mixture. Cook over medium-low heat until eggs are almost set, approximately 4 – 5 minutes.

Place frying pan 4 –6 inches beneath the broiler. Broil for 2 –4 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through and beginning to brown.

Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
I serve this with fresh fruit for breakfast or Strawberry Spinach Salad for lunch or dinner.
Pin It!

1 comment: