Saturday, January 28, 2012

Lemon-Blueberry Breakfast Cake

My kids thought I was nuts when I told them we were having cake for breakfast.  There is something about eating cake for breakfast that makes the meal feel special.  Similar to a muffin batter, this cake is spread into a cake pan, topped with sugar, and then baked to delightful yumminess.  It isn't too sweet and has a wonderful lemon aroma that fills your mouth and blends perfectly with the blueberries dotted throughout pair it up with breakfast sausage or bacon for an  easy and tasty breakfast.
The original cake called for 2 cups of berries, but I thought that was too much for such a small pan and cut it down to 1 cup instead.  Please feel free to add as many as you like though, there is nothing wrong with a lot of berries! ENJOY!




Lemon-Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Recipe Source: Modified Slightly from Alexandra's Kitchen

Serves 6-8
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup sugar (3/4 cup+2 tablespoons) plus additional sugar for the top (about 1 Tbl.)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup blueberries
½ cup buttermilk



Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.

Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.


Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. 


Prepare a 9-inch square baking pan with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread 1/2 the batter into the pan and sprinkle with 1/2 the blueberries.  Spread the remaining batter in the pan and top with the remaining blueberries pushing them down into the batter gently.  Sprinkle batter with additional sugar. 


Bake for 35-45 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving


**The original recipe said that it may be necessary to bake the cake as long as 10 additional minutes depending on  your oven. 
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Now that looks good...I may druel all the way to the grocery store..Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely recipe. The cake is certainly a great way to begin the day. I love to visit here. I never leave empty-handed and always enjoy the time I spend here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary I'm so happy you enjoyed the cake and thank you for the kind words about my blog.

      Delete
  3. Made this cake this morning. My kids loved it so much they kept asking for more even after it was gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I am so glad your family enjoyed this recipe! My kids do the same thing when I make it :)

      Delete
  4. I've made this as muffins twice this month. I used all purpose GF flour and subbed almond or goat milk. My kiddos love it and the muffins are perfect for taking on the go. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete