Sunday, May 26, 2013

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake


It is time for another round of Secret Recipe Club recipes.  I love doing this every month, because it introduces me to blogs that I wouldn't otherwise see.  This month I was lucky enough to be assigned to Fantastical Sharing of Recipes written by Sarah.  What I love about this blog is that Sarah has a similar take on food as me.  She tries to cook at home and not from packaged meals, but she also cooks what her family loves.  Not everything is the healthiest but she is always trying new recipes and sharing them with her family.



As I started going through her recipes, I found many that I wanted to make.  Her one pot spaghetti looks awesome, and has been pinned for future reference.  I almost went for the cheddar baked potato soup, but the weather here is just too warm for that.  So, finally, I settled on this chocolate chip coffee cake.  I love coffee cakes, and Sarah says "adores," it and it is super easy to make.  I didn't feel the need to make any changes to this recipe.  I left it just as Sarah did.  It was light, with just the right amount of chocolate and cinnamon in every bite.  ENJOY!



Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powders
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Cinnamon Sugar Filling/Topping:
Combine in a small bowl and set aside

1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon


Greas an 8 inch square pan and preheat your oven to 350 F

In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.

In your stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time and continue mixing until the mixture is smooth.  Add the sour cream, and vanilla.

Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. 

Spoon half the batter into your prepared pan.  Sprinkle with half the cinnamon sugar mixture and half the chocolate chips.  Spoon the rest of the batter into the pan and top it with the remainder of chocolate chips and cinnamon mixture.

Bake for 40 minutes and cool to room temperature.


Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. Oh that looks amazing! You had me at chocolate chips. Great pick for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate was what sold me too, Susan!

      Delete
  2. Coffee cakes are great, coffee cakes + chocolate make me very very happy!

    Great choice, I bet this cake tasted awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee cakes are one of my favorite things to make and adding chocolate was just like a super bonus!

      Delete
  3. Oh this sounds so good, I could go a slice with a big cup of tea right about now! Lovely SRC choice

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will take cake and chocolate for breakfast any time. I can see why you picked this recipe. Happy reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy. this sounds amazing! great choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I made it, I wasn't sure about all the cinnamon, but I ended up loving it and it was so moist too! My husband and kids loved it too :)

    Thanks for your sweet words - glad you liked it too! Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a awesome choice...Looks yummy! Happy Reveal Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love coffee cake, I've never tried one with chocolate chips!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm... that looks sooo good! Definitely something we would enjoy too! Great SRC pick!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coffee cakes always rate high on my list to bake! My girls will love me FOREVER and EVER if I make this little gem for them...YUMMY!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh man, I haven't had coffee cake in so long. dying for a piece now

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds and looks amazing! Chocolate Chip anything is a winner with me and my boys (hubby not such a fan which just means more for us :) ) Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete