Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Giant Cookie

Because it is cookie month, and also because I wanted to make a special treat for my in-laws who had volunteered to watch all three kids for a majority of the weekend, I went searching for a fun cookie to make.  When I saw this giant cookie at My Kitchen Cafe I knew it would be perfect.  Sure, it tastes just like a regular cookie but I have to admit there is something special about a dessert that is typically small in nature and making it crazy big. 

I let the kids help me with this recipe because it is your basic cookie recipe (except for the size) and very easy to mix up.  My favorite part is that after the dough is prepared you can mix anything into it that you want.  We raided what was left of the plain chocolate Halloween candy, chopped it up, and found a sad little bunch of butterscotch chips that were in the freezer but you can use anything. Wrap it up with a pretty bow and you have a very fun gift!  Enjoy!



Giant Cookie
Recipe Source: Modified slightly from My Kitchen Cafe

*Makes 1 giant cookie

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1-2 Tbs. milk if the dough is too stiff
1/2 cup chocolate chips, candy pieces, nuts or anything else you would like to add

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, cream together the sugars and butter. Add the egg and vanilla and mix. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. If needed add in a little milk.  My dough was very dry so I add only 1 tbs. and it was perfect. Fold in the chocolate chips, candy or nuts.

Line a large (11X17-inch) baking pan with foil and press the cookie into a 9 inch circle. When it bakes, it spreads to about 11 inches.  I used my round baking stone minus the foil, but a regular cookie sheet will work too. 
If desired, top the cookie with M&M’s or any other garnishes. Bake for 13-16 minutes until the cookie is lightly golden brown. Let the cookie cool completely on the baking pan – this helps the cookie stabilize and set so it can be easily lifted off the pan. Once cool, gently use the foil to lift the cookie off the pan.

Total Cost-I'm going to say hardly anything.
If I was forced to guess I'm going to say less than $.75 because the butter was on sale, it called for very little sugar and flour, and my candy was free.  It is all about utilizing what is on hand.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I want to eat the entire thing! I bet they just LOVED the cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. if I had this cookie during the week of XMas I WOULD have eaten the entire thing. Not kididng! Back on the wagon starting MONDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete